We have regular branch meetings on the third Wednesday of each month during the academic year, 12 – 1pm
Why are Branch Meetings Important?
- The branch is the sovereign decision-making body of UCU at SHU.
- Branch officers are delegates from the membership – so we expect the members to tell us what to do on your behalf on any issue of substance.
- We report back on any negotiations/consultations and only act with the full support of the branch.
- The more active the branch is in terms of numbers of participants at meetings, as well as in terms of engagement in campaigns, the less likely it is that management will attempt to significantly erode our terms and conditions.
- We believe this bottom-up approach is the essence of trade unionism. Union officers/reps can achieve nothing without the full support of the members.
How Does the Branch Work?
- Meetings are generally held on the 3rd Wednesday of each month between September and June at 12 noon.
- All members are welcome – so please attend whenever possible.
- You can take part in any debates you want or simply listen to the discussion.
- You have a right to vote on any issue or motion, so use it!
- You can raise issues at the meeting or let us know in advance what issue(s) or motions you would like included on the agenda. We will include anything a member wishes, subject to the usual prohibitions.
- If you wish to propose a motion on any topic simply send it to Mark Leader, the vice-chair at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com us at any time or when the call comes out each month. We’re not bureaucrats, so don’t worry that it has to be in any particular format or language. The Chair/Vice-Chair or any officer/rep will be happy to help if you wish.
- The branch will only be successful at defending members’ interests if you turn up and engage!
- If you have any questions contact your local rep, or any rep or officer.
SHU UCU Annual General Meeting and Branch Owen 1031, 12pm-1pm, 20th February 2019 A message from UCU SHU Branch Chair, Camila Bassi: Motions deadline midday 6th February - email the Branch Chair, C.Bassi@shu.ac.uk “I consider it important, indeed urgently necessary,...
Call for 8 participants in a Education Support Partnership focus group – 13 February 2019 : Lunch Included.
As UCU members you have access to Education Support Partnership’s free advice and helpline. See https://www.ucu.org.uk/educationsupportpartnership Education Support Partnership has contacted us to host a small focus group on Wednesday 13th February (12 – 1) to look at...
Look out for the ballot papers for action around the current employers' offer and working conditions, which will be sent out by post next week. The ballot opens on 15th January 2019 and closes on 22nd February 2019 These should arrive at your designated preferred...
Please find below the nomination form to be an officer or rep for the SHU branch of UCU for the academic year of 2019/20. This may seem a bit far in advice – but this is so that officers and reps will have enough time to get their union hours agreed in their work...
Please put this date in your diary. When : 12:00 pm – 1:00 p.m. Location : City - Owen 1031
Motion 1: Summer Resit Marking Preamble The branch notes that the University has placed referred and deferred exams and coursework deadlines in July and has brought forward exam board dates to August. This implies that academic...
Dear members PSOM & You In the next few weeks the first wave of changes to Student & Academic Services which have come about as a result of PSOM are going to be implemented. As we have discussed at Branch meetings, there are implications for academic staff as...
The new Academic Advising role was discussed at October's Branch Meeting. Members have reported that in some areas, academic advising hours have been put into already agreed work plans with no discussion or consultation. In such situations, if you have already agreed...