Looking for help and support from your union? 

UCU SHU branch has experienced and trained caseworkers and reps who can help. Everyone is a volunteer – with a full workload themselves – so things sometimes may take a bit of time. 


1.Talk to your rep

Your local departmental rep is your first port of call. They can answer many of your questions, and offer support and solidarity.
See UCU SHU branch current officers and reps here


2. Go to a drop-in or surgery

If you need a bit more in-depth support and advice – we run regular sessions where you can talk to a UCU caseworker face-to-face:
Member drop-in sessions: Usually straight after Branch meetings at 1pm on the third Wednesday of the month. No need to book, just turn up.
30 minute surgery slots at City: Usually early afternoon on the first Wednesday of the month. You need to book via ucu@shu.ac.uk
30 minute surgery slots at Collegiate: Usually morning on the fourth Wednesday of the month. You need to book via ucu@shu.ac.uk


3. Caseworkers for formal meetings and procedures

We can allocate you a caseworker if you are being called to a formal meeting or procedure. We might need a bit of time to find someone, so it could be that you need to postpone your meeting. Contact ucu@shu.ac.uk


Free advice and counselling

Don’t forget – as a UCU member you have free 24 hour access to the Education Support Partnership:  www.ucu.org.uk/educationsupportpartnership


UCU national website

You may also be able to find out answers to your questions here: https://ucu.custhelp.com/